First Class Postage
The number of postage stamps required depends on the weight of a letter and the delivery method. Letters are generally 1-3 ounces. A one ounce letter required 1 first class stamp. Their price increased in January, 2019 and now it costs $0.55. For every additional ounce, $0.15 is charged. Hence, a 2 ounce letter will cost you around 70 cents and for a 3 ounce letter you will have to pay $0.85. Instead of buying multiple stamps, you can also buy a single stamp of $0.70 for 2 ounce letter and $0.85 stamp for 3 ounce letter. Some people know how much their stamp will cost and they directly buy a stamp but some people just add one by one to figure out the number of stamps they require, either way it will cover the cost.
Postcards and Forever Stamps
Are you mailing a parcel instead of a letter? Let’s see how many stamps you need for this. For a standard sized postcards, it cost $0.35 while for postcards larger than 6” x 4 ¼ sizes you can use the first class stamp of $0.55. We’ll look at these scenarios in the section below “Types of Envelopes.” In post office, odd shaped envelopes or bulky envelopes change the scene completely ad they can easily be determined with the post officers. Go with their knowledge instead of going with your guess. But the most important thing is that you know about forever stamps.
Forever Stamps remain of the price no matter what is the current price of First-Class stamp. Even if the stamps have gone up you can still use these forever stamps which you bought last year. One can buy both types of forever stamps i.e. Domestic and Global Forever Stamps. The other stamps including Forever Stamps generally don’t expire. The only rule that is followed is “as long as they can be validated ads legitimate postage.” So, no matter the price increases they will not be disregarded because they are old.
Stamps for Large Flat Envelopes and Small Packages
What if you have packed small packages or large flat envelopes to post? You can also post them easily. A large flat envelope which is 12 to 15 inches and weighs around 13 ounces, one will have to play only $1.00 in first class mail. Any large envelope which is less than 13 ounce in weight will be costs as per the small package prices. For every small package that weighs up to 5.99 ounces, the sender will have to pay $2.66 in first class. But the packages which weigh more than 5.99 ounces need to upgrade from first class to Priority Mail or Priority Express Mail.
What Does Paper Weigh?
A single sheet of notebook or the printer sheet is around 0.16 ounces. So this is interesting to note that the 4 pages of notebook or printer sheet along with envelope can be mailed in just one First class stamp. It completely depends on the weight of the paper; up to 5 papers may also get mailed by First class stamp. But if you sending some paperwork which consists of papers more than that then there will be an additional charge for every once i.e. $0.15.
That’s what you need to know before mailing a package. We hope that you gather all the required information. From types of stamps to criteria of calculating number of stamps you require to the price you will need to pay, we have tried to cover everything up.
Wait, We have already mentioned about Where to Buy Stamps in our online guide so don’t forget to check this if you need help.
How many stamps do you need?
Check how many postage stamps you need depending on the type of letter or package you are sending.
- For a standard letter: If a person is mailing a standard letter then one Forever Stamp or one First class stamp needs to stick at the top right corner of the envelope. The number of stamps required depends on the size and weight of the letter. If the size of the letter you want to post is standard then using one Forever stamp will be enough for mailing it in any part of the US.
- For a package: For all the packages which weigh less than 12 ounces, postage stamps are enough. But if the package weighs more than that then the weight and dimensions of the package are measured and are taken into consideration also keeping the origin of the post and the destination and its impact in mind to calculate the accurate price. Usually, for the first three ounces of any package the cost is $2.66.
- For a 9 by 12 envelope: The type of envelope also plays a role in deciding the price of the stamp. The standard dimensions are 9 by 12 which are accepted by postal services and also sticking a stamp is an easy task to get the proper postal service. But for customers who have to mail envelopes larger than the standard size have to pay $1.00 for first ounce and $0.21 for all the additional ounces.
- For a large envelope: For mailing a one-ounce legal size envelope, two Forever Stamps are sufficient to mail. For every addition ounce $0.50 is charged, an extra day of $0.21 is needed. Large envelopes are usually used to mail sheaves of paper and also photos. These large envelopes are also called Flats.
- For a USPS Postage: The United States Postal Services who are responsible for handling mailing of letters and packages are known as USPS. They take care of the whole process of mailing. From sorting mails to supplying the essentials required for mailing. The price of these USPS postage stamps varies based on the type of event. Their minimum charge is $0.5 for one ounce.
- For a manila envelope: Manila envelopes are the large envelopes and their postage charge is $1.00 for first ounce and for every additional ounce $0.21 is charged. If you want to use forever stamps then you will require two Forever stamps for manila envelope.
- For international mail: For mailing postcards around the world Global Forever Stamps are used. These are used for sending 1 ounce of letters in any corner of the world. These stamps are available in the local post offices near you. If you are mailing a post from the United States then the international first class mail will cost you $1.15 for each Global forever stamp but currently the price is $0.50. Therefore, you can make calculations how many stamps you require based on what you are mailing and the cost of forever stamp.
- Per ounce: We have already mentioned the number of stamps required to be affixed on a item or mail completely depends on the how much the parcel or letter weighs. If the weight of the package is more than an ounce then the sender is required to weigh it before sticking the stamp to avoid hindrance or returning of the post to the original place. Even a slight mistake in weight can mess up, mean ‘lack of postage’ and can be returned to the sender. For mailing a standard sized letter of 1 ounce within the country, forever stamps are considered an ideal option.
The question still remains that how many stamps do we need? Well, now you have a rough idea about the working of stamps and how many stamps you require for mailing a letter. Weight and Dimensions are the most important parameters for mailing. Hence, there are strict rules to pay the postage stamps according to these parameters. If you fail to do so then the mail will be returned to your address.
Usually, heavier parcels are returned if the weight of the parcel is not measured correctly by the sender. To avoid such incontinence, we suggest you to carefully measure the parcel before mailing it. Be it standard sized parcel or large parcel, if you are paying the postage correctly then your parcel will reach safely.
About Postage Stamps
In market, there are various kinds of stamps being sold. Their price depends on the item which you want to mail. The weight, height and dimension are measured and then the price is decided accordingly. For the general public the huge variety of stamps are available in the market. Everyone can choose as per their item and need.
Below we have mentioned everything you need to know About stamps.
Postage stamps are called as stamps in general language. Stamp is a tiny paper issue by post office, postal administration or any other authorized postage stamp vendor following the rules and regulations of the government. The sender of the mail has to pay an amount to the seller which covers the cost of moving insuring and registering the mail.
Then, the postage stamp is fixed on the face of the mail or where the address is written on the cover. After this, the postal officials start the start the process. They provide a postal mark which states the date and origin of the mail on the stamp. This prevents the mail from getting reused or misused. Once this process is done the mail is delivered to the address mentioned on the package.
All postage stamps will always have the name of the country from which it is issued, and an illustration of people, events, natural realities, institutions that has importance of the symbols of the nation and the currency.
There is no fixed shape of postage stamps. It may vary but at this time it is rectangular in shape. Sometimes they are triangular, square etc. People can also customize stamps as per their requirement but it depends on the issuing post office.
There are numerous kinds of stamps available in the market. We have come up with a list of every possible type of postage stamps.
- Airmail Stamp: This stamp is used to make payments of animal services.
- Booklet Stamp: These stamps are produced and also issues only in booklet format.
- Carriers Stamp: These stamps are used to deliver a mail directly.
- Certified mail: This kind of mailing provides a mailing proof to send in a receipt form.
- Coil Stamps-tear-off Stamps: These stamps are issued via vending machine.
- Commemorative Stamp: These stamps are issued for a limited time to commemorate a person.
- Computer vended postage: These are advanced and secure postage.
- Definitive Stamps: These stamps are for everyday use.
- Express mail: These are specialized stamps for delivery.
- Local Post: These stamps are used to send a local post.
- Make up stamp: These stamps are of small value and they make a real difference when postage stamp rates increase.
- Military Stamp: These stamps are used by special postal system for military force of a nation.
- Mini sheet: These are commemorative stamps and consist of different number of stamps.
- Newspaper stamp: This stamp is used to pay the price of mailing newspapers and other periodicals.
- Official mail Stamp: These are the stamps issued by the government for government agencies.
- Occupation stamp: These are used by civilians.
- Non-denominated postage: The price of these stamps remains the same even if the price of postage stamp increases.
- Overprint Stamp: Regular stamp is usually commemorative stamp or definitive when these are changed by ‘printing over’ portion of the stamp after getting issued.
- Perforated Stamp: This term is referred to the stamps which have perforations around them called perfins.
- Personalized Stamps: These stamps are made as per the sender’s choice and allow them to add a picture that they want.
- Pneumatic Stamps: These stamps are only produced in Italy and these are used to send items which use pressurized air tubes.
- Postage Currency: These stamps are used as currency instead of postage stamps.
- Postage due: These stamps show that the postage has not been paid.
- Postal tax: This is the stamp which shows that the tax above the postage rate has been paid.
- Self-adhesive Stamps: These stamps are self-sticking.
- Semi-postal: These are also called charity stamp. These required an extra payment for a charity.
- Souvenir Sheet: These stamps contain perforated or imperforated stamps as their designs.
- Specimen Stamp: These are sent to postal officials so that they can identify valid and forged stamps.
- Test Stamp: These stamps are used for scanning and testing in machines.
- Variable value stamps: These stamps vary in price when they are issued by machines.
- War tax stamps: These are tax stamps which provide the money of the cost of war.
- Water activated stamp: These stamps are used to stick on by moisture.
So these were the different kinds of stamps available in the market for use. But the question still remains the same that how many stamps a regular person requires? A person will surely not require all the stamps we have mentioned above. All stamps have their sub-genres and their usage varies on the basis of the type of item you are mailing also their cost differs due to the same reason. Hence, here we are to provide you with the knowledge that how many stamps you will require over the period of time on different kinds of occasions.